The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast recognise our responsibility to work towards a sustainable future for all. We are committed to becoming one of the recognised environmentally friendly Hotels in the City.
As one of the leading hotels in Belfast, the hotel do not only focus on providing great hotel products and services. We are focused on our impact to the environment and our responsibility towards our people and the community. We have measures in place to reduce our energy, water consumption and costs and have also made a commitment to reduce our pollution and waste.
The Fitzwilliam Hotel is five-star luxury hotel situated in the heart of Belfast city centre beside the Grand Opera House on Great Victoria Street. The site has a history in the entertainment and hospitality arenas. Previously it was the Ritz Cinema and before that it was the Ulster Hotel. We have 146 guest rooms and suites and host visitors from far and wide who come to Belfast to experience the city, its people and culture.
As one of the leading hotels in Belfast, we do not only focus on providing great hotel products and services, but also focus on our impact on the environment and our responsibility towards our people and the community.
- To fully comply with all relevant environmental legislation and approved codes of practice.
- Management and staff must factor the environment and wider stakeholder community in our day to day operations and strategic planning processes.
- A commitment to reduce energy and water consumption using 2019 as our base year.
- To recycle paper, glass, batteries, plastic.
- To commit to removing single use plastics from our business starting in 2021 .
- Continuously train and educate our staff, through inductions and team meetings to encourage them to carry out more sustainable business practices.
- Operating a ‘switch off’ policy for all staff to turn out lights and computer off when not in use.
- Our Responsible Visitor Charter encourages guests to participate with hotel practices and to explore local attractions by public transport, foot or bicycle. Support local businesses and reduce reuse recycle while staying with us.
- To develop responsible purchasing methods, using local suppliers where possible
- Create and execute community supporting activities program.
We actively implement measures to reduce our energy and water consumption and costs. Reduce our pollution and waste. Increase our recycling practices.
- Monitor our energy consumption of gas, electricity and water
- Recycling of Paper, cardboard, plastics, tins and glass and batteries.
- Working with suppliers who are on the sustainable path.
- Support both local and Hotel Partners mandated charities such as Orbis and Chest Heart & stroke NI.
- The Fitzwilliam Hotel management and staff are jointly responsible for the full implementation of policy objectives. However in order to achieve our goals we need to be mindful of the needs of our Employee Health & Wellbeing
- Introduced a health and wellbeing strategy into the work place to ensure the staff and management are aware of support and best practice in both personal and professional day to day habits to help them achieve a healthy and sustainable way of living and working .
- We are currently working with ‘Green Tourism’ to gain accreditation.
- Continually updating our sustainable policy – to keep our stakeholders informed of our policy & practices.
- To reduce our energy by 15% from 2019 ( Units of Consumption )
- Support local community projects in Belfast city Centre
- Reduce water usage by 15% from 2019
- Reduce single use plastics across the Hotel
- Increase recycling by guest involvement.
- Increase awareness of sustainable practices with our staff, customers and owners, and suppliers.
- Mental health and wellbeing program for all our people.
We will always comply with the law in all our actions and will continuously review our policy to improve our impact.
Responsible Visitor Charter
Here at the Fitzwilliam Hotel, Belfast we recognise that we have a responsibility to our People, Planet and Profit, to work towards a sustainable future for all. We are committed to becoming one of the environmentally friendly hotels in Northern Ireland. We are working with Green Tourism to attain an accreditation.
We ask that our customers when visiting us help us to achieve these goals. Here are some ways you can help.
1. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
The hotel is making a substantial effort to Reduce, Reuse, recycle, you can help by
Try and recycle any waste you have
Saying ‘No thanks’ to the extra carrier bag
Hang up towels that don’t need replaced and place dirty ones in bath.
2. Conserve Energy
Help us to control energy use
Switch off lights when you leave the room, use our key card to save energy by taking it out of the device
Charge your phone in the car – its free energy
Use the stairs instead of lifts, good exercise and reduces energy on lift use.
3. Reduce water usage.
Help reduce water by
Turning off tap when brushing teeth
Use water conservatively when taking a shower or shaving.
Only fill the kettle for the water you need
Take a shower instead of a bath.
4. Walk don’t Drive
If only for one day, walk, cycle or use public transport.
Help us look after the areas landscape and nature by
Not littering, place all waste in bins, recycling where possible
Guarding against fires and using footpaths responsibly, leave only your footprints
6. Shop Local
Use local products, shop local and support local communities.
Our menus support local, sustainable, organic produce, why not eat from one of our menus.
We are fortunate to have some fantastic producers of food, drink arts and craft, for information on local markets and shops please speak with our Concierge team.
Green Tourism Scheme
This is the go-to standard for sustainability, look out for the symbol and please support those businesses that are working to reduce their carbon footprint. The award is also open to tour operators, visitor attractions, activity providers, accommodation providers, restaurants and other businesses. http://www.green-tourism.com/